May 5, 2008

Spiderwick Chronicles - cuteness revisited

"Ye bhi de do," I looked down to see a rather plump hand of a toddler, trying her best to reach for the candy box, and the vendor smiled at me, and filled her bag.

I looked to my left and right, with my friend standing a little away from the vendor, and the vendor of course still staring at me, wondering when I would loosen my purse strings.

"Ye aapke saath nahin hai?"

"Um, nahin."

"Oh."

We both looked at the kid, a beautiful girl, not more than five perhaps, with wide distinctly grey eyes, plump and indeed very much a candy-fan.

She had got herself an array of candies, oblivious to the fact that someone has to pay for all that!

Then we heard a voice, "she's here!", everyone looked around to see this heavily dressed woman, gesturing to a man, who walked with a bag of popcorn, and showed it to the young girl, who was still not budging from the vendor.

It was apparent that her dad wasn't too happy with the idea of his kid chomping candies, and immediately offered her the popcorn instead. The little girl was heartbroken, as she uttered something before leaving, the look on her face broke my heart too. I could not take this any longer so I told the vendor I would pay for the candies. The mother overheard and immediately paid him and took the kid inside.

Anyway, we entered the hall, and contrary to popular assumptions, there were loads of young couples filling up seats. Me and my friend from college, us both girls, had nothing better on our minds, and the show timing suited us perfectly, had come to watch this movie.

The show began, and surprisingly enough, everyone kept to the best of their manners, no phone rings, no wailings, no abrupt walking out distractions. As we were faced with the first twist in the plot, it was when one of the kids is cleaning up a secret hiding place, and a key is half-visible under a newspaper. One of the kids, obviously concentrating hard, burst the silence with, "pick up the KEEE"

Ah, well!

Maybe I should start talking about the other movie I saw last night, but that would spoil the tone of this blog! The movie in question, The Skeleton Key, and unlike the brilliance of the kid to spot the key in Spiderwick Chronicles, I lost the plot of this movie, because I thought IPL matches could be watched with a horror-suspense genre. I guess I wouldn't even qualify for a kid-flick next time.

No comments: