May 27, 2013

She


The most compelling scene from Charulata, to my mind, is this one. And, frankly, how do I even describe it? The physicality of the scene is most striking, where violence finds its palpable presence in the turmoil-ridden household. I am quite new to Ray, so I won't be able to do justice to this film (or any other of his) but this scene has stuck in my mind, with her voice booming, as she charges in, forcing her brother-in-law to look at her achievement.And, I'm not even going to talk about what this really means for her. But, the camera captures this aggression in her so bloody well. The hair is open, her look is wild, and her persona in contrast to the woman in the frame. Like, Charulata is out of her 'frame', her cage, even if it is temporary. And, the camera as the voyeur just following her moves without any trace of intrusion, bowing to her rage. Very striking! Love it.

No comments: